August 15, 2022
The DOJ is investigating Donald Trump and not merely trying to recover documents Trump illegally took from the White House. This was made clear today in the release of the DOJ’s “United States’ Omnibus Response To Motions To Unseal” the affidavit supporting the Search And Seizure Warrant underlying the FBI raid on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida on Monday, August 8, 2022. The full text of the “Omnibus Response” can be read by following the links at the end of this post. The following account, paraphrased from Forbes Magazine, explains the significance of the wording of the “Omnibus Response” and in particular its dire warning to Donald Trump that he is the subject of a full blown DOJ Investigation.
As explained in Forbes, “The Justice Department on Monday [August 15, 2022] asked a federal judge to not unseal the affidavit associated with the search warrant that allowed the FBI to raid former President Donald Trump’s residence at Mar-a-Lago last week, writing that there are ‘compelling reasons’ including matters of national security.” Those compelling reasons, are set forth below.
- “Unsealing the affidavit at this point in time would cause ‘significant and irreparable damage to this ongoing criminal investigation,’ according to the 13-page filing, which was made in response to media outlets requesting that the affidavit be released.
- Lawyers wrote that keeping the affidavit sealed is important to ‘protect the integrity’ of the ongoing investigation, which ‘implicates national security.’
- The affidavit, which would typically contain information about evidence collected that would support probable cause needed to secure a search warrant, also includes ‘highly sensitive’ information about witnesses, they said, along with specific investigative techniques.
- Witnesses may be ‘hesitant to come forward voluntarily’ knowing that people they testify against would be aware of their testimony or that information they share could be publicized before the beginning of any criminal proceedings, the lawyers wrote.
- Most significantly, ‘Even when the public is already aware of the general nature of the investigation, revealing the specific contents of a search warrant affidavit could alter the investigation’s trajectory, reveal ongoing and future investigative efforts, and undermine agents’ ability to collect evidence or obtain truthful testimony,’ lawyers wrote in the filing.”
The full text of the DOJ’s “Omnibus Response To Motions To Unseal” can be viewed in the online reader below or viewed in a larger format by clicking on the link “Response To Motions To Unseal.” Clicking the “Download” button allows the full text of the document to be downloaded to your device. You can also share this post on Twitter and Facebook.
Democracy4All is a 501(c)(3) nonpartisan collective working to expand, reform, and protect American democracy through charitable and educational means. You can support our work through PayPal or AmazonSmile (AmazonSmile gives you all AmazonPrime benefits).
- Donations to Democracy4All using PayPal are tax deductible and can be made through PayPal using this link: PayPal.Me/Democracy4All.
- Democracy4All is also registered with Amazon Prime as a nonprofit charity. By following these steps you can switch your Amazon Prime Account to Amazon Prime Smile. Once you do this, Amazon will make a donation to Democracy4All every time you make a purchase. You don’t have to pay a thing! Amazon does it for you! Here’s how:
- Visit smile.amazon.com.
- Sign in with the same account you use for Amazon.com.
- Select Democracy4All (it is already registered with AmazonSmile).
- Start shopping and check out at smile.amazon.com.
- Tip: Add a bookmark to make it easier to shop at smile.amazon.com.
Thank you for your support!